GUI video display problem/glitch?

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
ficklma1

GUI video display problem/glitch?

Post by ficklma1 »

I'm having a problem with the splash and menu screens in Housebot. When I start the Housebot GUI up the splash screen grabs a "snapshot" of my desktop an makes it the background of splash screen(not a big deal)

Once the program is up and running the menu screens "aqua" buttons look ok. Thats until I roll my mouse over them, they turn black on during rollover.

Has anyone else experienced these display glithches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

Look at the button properties and see if you are using the HB red directory. All the buttons in that skin are .png files with transparentcy enabled. Depending on the button color and the background color, those buttons can show very dark when pressed. The HouseBot GUI has no 'splash' screen. It shows the first screen as defined in your theme. IF there is no background defined for that first panel, you may actually be seeing the desktop. Effectively the panel is transparent.

Are you sure that you are talking about HouseBot?
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

Yes it's Housebot, but I'm talking about the designer application of Housebot, not the software remote. The designer application itself has a splash screen that comes up with the Meedio logo, but the background is a "snapshot" of my desktop. Once the application loads the buttons on the "main" screen that allow you to jump to different sections of the designer are the buttons I'm reffering to. They are fine as long as I don't "roll-over" them. Could this be related to a setting in the drivers for my video card?

Thanks for your help.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Very strange. I've never heard of that problem before, so I wouldn't rule out your video driver. What OS are you running? Do any other applications exhibit the same problem? What color depth are you running at?
Scott
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

PLease explain what you mean by the 'Designer application' of HouseBot. I am confused! Do you mean when you click on the theme line in the exporer window in HouseBot?
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

Scott,

I'm running XP Pro. I've tried both 16 bit and 32 bit color depths and both have the same problem. I haven't seen this happen in any other application.

Circe640,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not quite sure what to call the application other than a desginer. The application I'm refering to is where you set up events, themes, etc. This application has a "main" menu at startup that has "pill" shaped buttons that take you to different sections of the application. These buttons are the ones I have problems with. I hope that's clearer. :wink:

Thanks for everyones help.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

Do you mean the buttons with these labels?

Mode

Task

Theme

Device

Hardware Interface

Network

Physical Device

Software Remote

[/img]
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

That would be them. I'm at work and do not have it installed, so I wasn't sure what the names of the buttons were. Thanks. Any ideas why the buttons "black out" when I roll my mouse over them? Is there a specific video card requirement for HouseBot?

Thanks again for you help.
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

Update...I apologize, I was on the road last week and didn't have access to HouseBot. Therefore I was a little incorrect on what was "blanking out". I spent sometime using it this weekend. It's not the buttons that "blank/black out", it's the listbox below the buttons, but only when I roll-over the buttons. If I don't roll-over the buttons the list box appears correctly. I'll try and post some screenshots tonight.

Thanks for everyones help last week.
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

I don't know what's happened, but it looks like everything is showing up properly now. It doesn't "black out" the list box as I roll-over the buttons now. Thanks for everyones help. :P
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Sounds like a haunted box. :wink:
Scott
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

Scott,

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder. :wink: FYI... It's doing it again, but I've found out why(not technically though) it started to show up correctly. I had a dvd ripper program running in the background and was working with HouseBot. This is the first time I was able to see the info in the list box at the bottom of that screen as I rolled over the buttons. There must be something when the "dvd ripper" program is loaded into memory that fixes the display. I can't begin to image what it could be. Any ideas?

Thanks
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If I had to guess, it sounds like color palette issue. The DVD Ripper application is probably using a differenct color palette than Housebot and the two arent' sharing well.

What color depth (# colors) is your display set at?
Scott
ficklma1

Post by ficklma1 »

Scott,

I'm fairly certain I have it set to 32bit. FYI, the HouseBot display problem goes away as long as I have the DVD ripper app loaded. Is this app forcing HouseBot to use the correct color palatte?

Thanks
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Oh... It goes away when the app is loaded. I misunderstood. In that case... I'm not sure again.
Scott