Ability to open panel on a specific remote (from a script)

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Ability to open panel on a specific remote (from a script)

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi Scott,

New feature suggestion: as part of my distribution system I have *two* DVD changers that are two different brands and therefore use two different sets of IR codes. I've been able to set up list controls that are dynamically filled from my Access database of all my DVD titles. In that database I keep track of which changer the DVD is in. Then when I push the "Play" button after selecting a disc I run a script to send the appropriate IR commands to load the disc and start it playing. The last step is that I want to switch to the panel that corresponds to whichever changer the selected disc resides in so that the IR codes work.

I ran into two issues during this process. One is that since the open panel command opens the specified panels on *all* remotes I had no way to go from my disc selection panel back to the DVD changer panel. My solution was to make the disc selection panel a popup and then close it from the script - not elegant but workable). The second issue is that I still don't have a way to open the correct panel for IR codes.

What I am thinking about doing right now is to create a script device with identical properties to my two changers and then create a panel that maps to this device. Then I could have another script that runs whenever one of the script device properties change. This script would determine which changer is currently active (this information is stored on a property on another device) and send the corresponding IR code for the "real" changer. I think this will also work but if I had the ability to open a specific panel on one software remote it would be much easier. I'm guessing that the protocol between the server and the software remotes isn't fully two-way but I don't know.

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

but if I had the ability to open a specific panel on one software remote it would be much easier.
I saw this request coming when this functionality first arrived. I don't remember why I didn't do it originally, but it's certainly a valid request. No promises on when it would actually happen, but I'll add it to *my* list.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hehe. Ok - thanks! That's all I can ask :)