1-wire Plug-in

HouseBot Plugin Development Discussions.
ericvic

1-wire Plug-in

Post by ericvic »

I'm thinking about writing a plug-in for the Dallas 1-wire network. I don't have any detailed specs of what would be in the plug-in yet just a few ideas.

- A hardware plug-in that connects to the 1-wire bus

- Some software devices for things like (wind speed, direction, temp, humidity, pressure, rain gauge and a few other custom devices)

- Eventually add some data logging for historical trending

Does anyone have any other ideas they would like to see in such a plug-in?

Eric
Automate

Post by Automate »

You may want to check out MediaStorms comments about "The Link" in this thread http://www.housebot.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... ight=1wire

"The Link" supports the raw 1-wire protocol and a simplified protocol.

My suggestion would be to make the data logging/historical trending a separate pluggin that could record and trend any HB variable. This way it could be used with other devices like a X-10 thermostat etc. Or even with discrete devices to show when a light was turned on or off.
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Automate,

I know of the link but I'm just going to support 1-wire using the Dallas drivers right now. My 1-wire network has been working fine with my 9097U so I see no need to get "The Link" right now.

I like your idea of making the data logging/historical trending a separate plug-in. The thing I want to stay away from is having to create a bunch of tasks to make the logging work. If I can get property change events into my device when other device's properties change then that would work. But that is a later project anyway.

Thanks for the ideas.

Eric
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Scott,

Is there anyway for a hardware device plug-in to set what the valid values are for a property?

What I would like to be able to do is when the user adds a new 1-wire device they would be able to choose the ID from a list of IDs currently attached to the 1-wire network.

Eric
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Eric,

I think your answer is yes. When you say 'hardware device' I'm assuming you mean 'hardware interface', since I know you know how to do this with device plugins.

For hardware interface plugins, you can set the list when you register the property. Something like this:

Code: Select all

const char* aPortList[] = {
      "COM 1",
      "COM 2",
      "COM 3",
      NULL };
   RegisterHardwareModuleProperty( "COM Port", ptList, aPortList, "", TRUE, "Select the COM Port that the Hardware is attached to." );
Scott
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Scott,

Sorry I wasn't very clear. What I want to be able to do is dynamically update the valid values for a property for device plug-ins from a hardware interface at runtime.

When my 1-wire hardware interface scans the 1-wire bus it will create a list of valid IDs of devices that are attached to the bus. I want to be able to make those the valid values for a property called "Device ID" for 1-wire devices.

Hopefully that is clearer.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Now I get it. I though that you were beyond that level of question. :wink:

Unfortunately the 'valid' values that are associated with a Property are saved in the DB and are static.

You could, however, have a 'button' property on the Device that would allow the user to select from the valid IDs. When the button is pressed, you can display a dialog with a list of valid IDs returned from the interface. When the user selects one, you can either store it privately, or set a standard Property value with the new ID.
Scott
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Scott,

I'm hoping that I'm beyond that level of questions, I don't want to be going backwards :D

I will look at the button property way of going about it.

Eric