GC 100 & IR Blasters

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
mikelleh

GC 100 & IR Blasters

Post by mikelleh »

I am using a GC 100 and it works great with single IR emitters. However, I cant get a blaster or a Dual emitter to work. The blaster worked with the GC 100 when I was looking at Premise software, so I do not believe it is a hardware issue.

Any ideas? :?:

Using version 2.0 on Windows XP

Great software!

Mike
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Mike,

There's nothing specific from the software that would be different depending on the type of emitter you are using. For example, there's no 'power level' that can be specified by the software to drive dual emitters or blasters.

If you have a 'flasher' dual emitter or can use it with a blaster, can you see any activity at the emitter, or is there no signal at all?
Scott
mikelleh

IR Emitters

Post by mikelleh »

If I place the blaster right in front of a component (no more than an inch or so) it works, anything further and it doesnt.

I purchased the SmartHome dual emitters and they dont work at all.

On another note: where can I get remote frequency info? I cant make my Panansonic DVD codes work either. When you first configure the remotes, there is a box for frequency, but no reference material that I have found to determine this setting. I more or less use trial and error for the other devices I have configured, but cant find the magic bullet for the DVD.

So there are a few glitches, but I really like your software. :D

I also appreciate your responsiveness to questions.

Mike
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Mike,

I'm not sure why the emitters would work with one software app and not the other on the same hardware but I do know that many IR outputs on devices can only handle a single emitter. Many times it can only drive that one emitter over a short cable.

Dual emitters and blasters usually require more power than the output can provide and require some sort of amplifier.

I ran into this same problem with my Ocelot.

Eric
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: IR Emitters

Post by ScottBot »

mikelleh wrote:On another note: where can I get remote frequency info? I cant make my Panansonic DVD codes work either. When you first configure the remotes, there is a box for frequency, but no reference material that I have found to determine this setting. I more or less use trial and error for the other devices I have configured, but cant find the magic bullet for the DVD.
Mike,

The frequency in that field doesn't matter for the GC-100. Depending on the Hardware Interface used, it may or may not use that value. Since the GC-100 uses Pronto codes, the frequency is embedded in the code and the value associated with the Remote Configuration Dialog is not used.

As Eric mentioned, it sounds like a power issue to me too. One thing that may make a difference is the length of the IR code being sent between the two software products. If the signal is weak, perhaps sending the code multiple times may help. You can do this by increasing the 'Repeat Count' value in the IR code setup for the GC-100.
Scott