swremote loads but won't display (mimized only)

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
tnelson

swremote loads but won't display (mimized only)

Post by tnelson »

scott

started having this problem yesterday before I even updated to the lates HB version.

On one of my XP Home systems but not the other, I startup the SWRemote to the HB server on a different system (running Win98)

SWRemote starts up no errors in trace log, no errors on server side (with client server socket tracing enabled)

trace log show all panels being loaded

doesn't seem to matter what theme I use - even a simple one panel, one control theme fails

on a related note, I tried exporting all my config on server so I could re-install the HB server software and the reimport my config

tried twice and both times HB crashed

will send dump files from the crashes to support email alias

any ideas?

BTW - the website for your forum software has an add-on for attachments.

Would be nice to be able to post dump files and also exported HB configurations if you've got enough disk space to handle it.

thanks,

tom
tnelson

Re: swremote loads but won't display (mimized only)

Post by tnelson »

Well I'm still not sure what the problem was but after uninstalling HB, removing all the HB related registry entries (something I wouldn't

necessarily recommend to anyone), then reinstalling, the client

worked again.

tnelson wrote:scott

started having this problem yesterday before I even updated to the lates HB version.

On one of my XP Home systems but not the other, I startup the SWRemote to the HB server on a different system (running Win98)
SWRemote starts up no errors in trace log, no errors on server side (with client server socket tracing enabled)
doesn't seem to matter what theme I use - even a simple one panel, one control theme fails

on a related note, I tried exporting all my config on server so I could re-install the HB server software and the reimport my config

any ideas?

Would be nice to be able to post dump files and also exported HB configurations if you've got enough disk space to handle it.

thanks,
tom
tnelson

Re: swremote loads but won't display (mimized only)

Post by tnelson »

Well, here's even more

The problem is still happening off and on When it does, I close the client, remove "Position" from the "HouseClient" registry setting, then restart the client, and voila, it works again!

Any thoughts on this Scott?

Thanks,

Tom

tnelson wrote:Well I'm still not sure what the problem was but after uninstalling HB, removing all the HB related registry entries (something I wouldn't
necessarily recommend to anyone), then reinstalling, the client
worked again.

tnelson wrote:scott

any ideas?

thanks,
tom
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Tom,

I don't quite understand the problem you are seeing on the Client. I understand that removing the 'Position' registry entry fixes it, but could you give me more details on what you are seeing wrong?

I was going to install the 'Attachment' mod for the BB, but haven't had a chance. I did receive the dump files you sent. I wasn't able to determine the cause from the dumps, unfortunately.

Did HB crash on the import or export? If on the import, could you send me the HBX file? If on the export, could you send me a copy of your HBData.mdb file and tell me exactly what you exported so I can reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Scott
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

ScottBot wrote:Tom,

I don't quite understand the problem you are seeing on the Client. I understand that removing the 'Position' registry entry fixes it, but could you give me more details on what you are seeing wrong?
1. I start up the client
2. Never see a window display for the client - only see "Software Remote" on the task bar.
3. When I right click on this task bar "Software Remote" item, I can then select "Move". I don't think you can do this with "minimized" applications so I think I was wrong to characterize the client as being "minimized"
4. At any rate, I've observed that when I select "Move" in the same way for any other non-minimized app it puts a special cursor on the title bar of the window for that app and allows me to then left click to move the application.
When I do this with the HB client in the task bar however it just puts the cursor up in the upper left corner of the desktop - like it can't really find a window for the app. I thought this was interesting because I thought it might rule out the possibility that the window really did exist somewhere off the displayable area of the desktop or something.
I was going to install the 'Attachment' mod for the BB, but haven't had a chance. I did receive the dump files you sent. I wasn't able to determine the cause from the dumps, unfortunately.

Did HB crash on the import or export? If on the import, could you send me the HBX file? If on the export, could you send me a copy of your HBData.mdb file and tell me exactly what you exported so I can reproduce the problem.
crashed on import not export - will send the HBX.
Thanks,
Scott
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

turns out the crash is on export and doesn't produce an output file at all.

The good news is I tracked down how to easily reproduce it!

1. Create a new task - don't need to add anything to it

2. Create a new theme

3. Add an execute task button

4. Select the new task above as the task to execute

5. Remove the task.

6. Do an Export - select only the new theme and "Export Theme Files".

7. POOF - HouseBot crashes and goes away.

Turns out I had an old theme laying around and had removed a task called from a task button.

I finally found something I can reproduce for you :-)
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Tom,

I can see where the export might get into a bind trying to export an invalid Task. I'll have it fixed in the next update. Thanks for the easy duplication scenario.

On the client problem, you say that deleting the 'Position' registry key fixes the problem. What is the value of X and Y in the Position key before you have to delete it?

Thanks,

Scott