Replication Abstraction Problem

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Replication Abstraction Problem

Post by Circe640 »

PC2 Running Winamp and a Replicated JukeBot. Replicated Device Name is JukeBot on PC2

PC1 Running Master JukeBot Device

PC2 Winamp Playlist 1 point to PC2 Replicated JukeBox PlayList 1

PC2 Winamp PlayList Property value is %%JukeBot.JK Play List 1%%

Winamp on PC2 does not appear to receive the values even though the replicated JK PLay List 1 on PC2 shows the valid playlist values

Appears as if there might be an issue with substitution to a replicated property.

This works fine on my test machine where both real winamp and real JukeBot exist together - no replication
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm not sure I see how you are assigning the substitution value in your example.

Property value substitution is only available to Tasks while running actions in their task lists and to Property change buttons used in Theme controls.

Also, if you are using substitution in these ways, the substitution will be relative to the HouseBot server that the Task or SW Remote is related to.
Scott
Circe640
Advanced Member

Keyed in value

Post by Circe640 »

I went to the Winamp PlayList 1 and keyed in the %%...%% value as posted ealier. This works if the true Winamp device and the true JukeBot device are both on the same server. Now what I need to do is to split these out so that one of the pair is real and the other is a replicated device. I am running HouseBot on two different machines and want the real Winamp device on one and JukeBot on the other.

I have tried with Winamp replicated back to the HouseBot/JukeBot server.

This did not work. I also tried with JukeBot replicated down to the HouseBot/Winap server. This did not work either

I'll play around with tasks to see if I can do it through them.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Almost but not quite

Post by Circe640 »

PC1 - HouseBot with JukeBot and Replicated Winamp Device from PC2

PC2 - HouseBot with WinamP Device

PC1 - Task that changes Winamp Playlist 1 to the value of JukeBot Playlist 1 on any change to JukeBot PLaylist.

So far so good any change flows through from JukeBot to the replicated Winamp device on PC1 and then down to the real Winamp Device in HosueBot on PC2. All properties show correct values BUT playlist never gets sent to the actual winamp executable. Winamp.exe is launched but no playlist is received by it. ?????

What did I miss??
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I haven't had a chance to look into this any more, and may not get a chance until tomorrow.
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If you change the PC1 Winamp Playlist 1 manually through the UI on PC1, does the playlist get updated on PC2? You can just try and reorder a couple of songs to see if this works. You will need to refresh (click off and then back on the Device) the Device on PC2 to see the update.
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm able to get the list to propagate to the replicated Device doing it through the UI. However, the playlist is a very long value and it gets truncated since it is longer than 250 characters (the limit on property values in the Device API).

I may take a stab at removing the 250 character limit during the beta.
Scott
Circe640
Advanced Member

Another possible work around

Post by Circe640 »

I will try a different approach tonight. Rather than loading the Playlist across from JukeBot to Winamp I'll try using JK Play list 2 on the UI instead of Play List 3. Its hidden first column is the song file path\file name and would send a single song 'playlist ' to Winamp. That "should" work within the 250 char constraint.