Creating new values for device properties?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Easley

Creating new values for device properties?

Post by Easley »

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but.... I want HB to keep track of the input mode (DVD, VCR, etc) of my receiver, and also switch to that input if I change the property. I see there is a property type of Output Component available, but what if this values assigned to it arnt what I need? Is there a way to change values?

I thought maybe thats what User-Definable Alpha List was for. But it wouldnt let me associate IR codes with the values I added.

Any ideas?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Try this:
  • Select 'Settings / Property Manager..." from the main menu.
    Find the Output Component Property in the list on the left.
    Click the Add button in the lower right corner of the dialog.
    Add whatever property values you wish to the Property.
    Close the Dialog when finished.
I'm pretty sure you will need to delete and recreate the Device that is using the Property to see the new values.

Scott
Easley

Post by Easley »

Duh, told you it was a dumb question. That was exactly what I needed. I will say I searched all over the manual for this. Must have missed it.

Thanks Scott.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

You can also alter the 'User Definable' Properties (like you were trying to do). For what you want, you would want to use a "User Definable Alpha" Property. Don't use the AlphaList Properties. They are different and not often needed.

You have to be a little cautious when altering any of the existing Properties; even the user definable ones. Properties are shared by all Devices, so if you make a change to a Property for one Device, it will be changed for all.

The safest thing to do is to just create a new Property and add whatever values you need. You can do this from the Property Manager by Pressing the 'Add' button in the bottom left of the dialog. For your case (and for most cases), you would want to create an 'Alpha-Numeric' type Property.

Scott